In association with eon visual media

Official Media Partner of Hull City

Call us today 01482 358394

Report: Bolton Wanderers U18s 1 Hull City U18s 0

Report: Bolton Wanderers U18s 1 Hull City U18s 0

Hull City Under-18s went down to a 1-0 defeat to Bolton Wanderers in an evenly-contested U18 Professional Development League clash at the Eddie Davies Academy on Saturday.

The hosts started the brighter of the two teams as Trotters skipper Ronan Darcy dragged an effort wide. Bolton then nearly took advantage from Jacob Greaves’ missed clearance as striker Dermalio Sterling beat the centre-back before putting a cross in. Tommy Best blocked the initial cross, but the ball fell for Bolton winger Callum King-Holmes, who volleyed wide. 

The Tigers started to grow into the game with Dan Hawkins putting in a great cross for winger Matty Jacob, who could only send his header wide of Callum James’ post.

James had to be alert again minutes later, gathering a good free-kick from Hawkins. Hawkins’ set-plays were causing problems for the hosts as another delivery was just missed by onrushing defender Andy Smith.

At the other end of the pitch, David Robson was called into action when saving well from Bolton’s Finlay Lockett.

The only goal of the game came just past the half-hour mark. Darcy's fierce drive wasn't held by Robson and King-Holmes was in the right place at the right time to pounce on the loose ball and slot home from close-range - with the Tigers' appeals for offside waved away.

Bolton nearly doubled their lead shortly after with King-Holmes’ cross being met by Darcy, but his effort went over the bar before Jordan Boon fired over with an effort from distance.

The Tigers could have had an equaliser moments before the half-time whistle when Jake Leake’s long ball was met by the onrushing Hawkins, only for the winger to lash his effort over the bar. 

Bolton started strongly again following the restart, with Max Broughton and King-Holmes firing efforts over the bar, before the Tigers' first attack of the second half almost brought an equaliser. Smith's low cross caused panic in the hosts' box but, following a goalmouth scramble, Bolton eventually cleared the danger.

Harry Wood caused the home defence no end of problems when embarking a positive run which saw him go past for Bolton players. The midfielder got an effort away but failed to test James as his strike cleared the crossbar.

Substitute Sithole nearly wrapped the game up for Bolton after he met King-Holmes’ cross in stoppage time, but his header went over Robson’s bar.

The Tigers had one more opportunity to grab an equaliser. Hawkins' corner dropped invitingly for Smith inside the box, whose volley was heading for the back of the net until it was cleared off the line. The clearance brought huge appeals for handball from the players in black and amber but those appeals fell on deaf ears as the referee waved play on, allowing Bolton to claim all three points.

Bolton Wanderers: James, Whalley, White, Broughton )Graham 64), Senior, Boon, King-Holmes, Smith, Sterling (Holmes 55), Darcy, Lockett (Sithole 74).
Subs Not Used: Edmundson, Alexander. 

Hull City: Robson, Smith, Leake, Wood, Adamson, Greaves, Hawkins, Best, Jarvis, Hall (Ward 68), Jacob (Guilfoyle 61).
Subs Not Used: Fisk, Lovick, Billam.