In association with eon visual media

Official Media Partner of Hull City

Call us today 01482 358394

Report: Hull City 1 Bridlington Town 3

Report: Hull City 1 Bridlington Town 3

Hull City’s defence of the ERCFA Senior Cup ended with a 3-1 defeat against Bridlington Town in the final at the Roy West Centre on Wednesday night.

Jon Beale’s starting eleven was made up from a mixture of the Under-23s and Under-18s squads. Matty Jacob, Jacob Greaves, Lewis Ritson, Josh Thacker and Elliot Holmes all started the final twelve months ago against the same opposition when the Tigers recorded a 2-1 success. The Bridlington side included former City Junior Fraser Papprill in the centre of defence.

Bridlington made a fast start to the game with Andy Norfolk firing a right foot shot from outside the box over the bar in the opening minute. The Seasiders were ahead as early as the fifth minute when Joe McFadyen collected Jake Day’s flick and calmly placed a left foot shot into the bottom corner of the net.

The Tigers had a great chance to make an immediate reply when Thacker met Ahmed Salam’s corner but the centre-back couldn’t get his header on target. 

Day shot narrowly wide for Bridlington and player/manager Brett Agnew also went close before Day netted only to be ruled offside. Harvey Cartwright easily held a low shot from Agnew whilst for the Tigers Salam cut in from the right and curled a left foot shot high and wide of the target.

The Northern Counties East League Premier Division side increased their lead on the stroke of half time. Cartwright was unable to claim a high free-kick into the box and Chris Jenkinson was left with a simple tap in from close-range.

The first chance of the second period went to the Seasiders but Day fired wide from outside the box. A Holmes pass created a good chance for City but Tyler Hamilton’s first time effort was pushed away by Town keeper Tom Jackson.

After a bright start to the second half, the Tigers found a way back into the game in the 62nd minute when Billy Chadwick burst into the box and produced a good finish low past Jackson.

Beale's side were now enjoying their best spell of the match, with Salam firing a free-kick over the crossbar.

However, a lengthy delay saw that spell halted when Cartwright came off worse in a 50/50 challenge with Day and although the incident wasn’t as bad as it first looked the City keeper was replaced by Harrison Foulkes.

The Tigers came desperately close to an equaliser when Jackson could only push a Chadwick free-kick into the path of Ritson who looked destined to score but the Bridlington keeper recovered superbly to block the defender’s shot.

That proved to be a crucial moment in the game as the Seasiders restored their two-goal lead in the 79th minute. A crowded penalty area prevented Foulkes from gathering a corner and for the second time in the game Jenkinson capitalised from close range.

Holmes went close for the Tigers in the closing stages but the Senior Cup was heading for the east coast.

Hull City: Harvey Cartwright (Harrison Foulkes 73), Andy Smith, Matty Jacob, Jacob Greaves, Lewis Ritson, Josh Thacker, Tyler Hamilton, Harry Wood, Billy Chadwick, Elliot Holmes, Ahmed Salam.
Subs Not Used: Callum Smith, Jay Rouse, Tom Powell, Josh Hesson.

Bridlington Town: Tom Jackson, Benn Lewis, Jack Bulless, Tim Taylor, Chris Jenkinson, Fraser Papprill, Lewis Dennison, Andy Norfolk, Jake Day (Mike Hutchinson 89), Joe McFadyen, Brett Agnew (Nathan Modest 85).
Subs Not Used: Matt Broadley, Mike Thompson, Chris Adams.