In association with eon visual media

Official Media Partner of Hull City

Call us today 01482 358394

Report: Hull City U18s 0 Charlton Athletic U18s 2

Report: Hull City U18s 0 Charlton Athletic U18s 2

Hull City Under-18s' five-game unbeaten run came to an end with a 2-0 home defeat at the hands of Charlton Athletic on Saturday.

Goals from James Vennings and Charles Clayden saw the visitors claim all three points to inflict what was only a second league defeat on the Tigers since the turn of the year.

The Addicks started brightly and almost scored with the first kick of the game as Aaron Henry attempted to lob Harvey Cartwright from the centre circle, but his effort drifted just wide of the target.

However, it only took Charlton four minutes to open the scoring. Euan Williams’ sliced shot fell to James Vennings, who poked the ball home from close-range with the Tigers' appeals for offside waved away by the officials.

And the visitors should have doubled their lead when Freddy Barton’s cross found striker Richard Kasey, but he could only send his free header wide of Cartwright's goal.

The Tigers grew into the game after that miss with Jake Leake guiding a header straight at Joe Osaghae in the Charlton goal before Rob Guilfoyle fired over after Jacob Greaves’ initial effort was blocked. Jay Rouse then produced a fantastic run to create space for a shot, only to see his effort blocked behind by Luca Veiga. 

At the other end, Charles Clayden’s cross-shot was held by Cartwright before another dangerous cross was met by Kasey, but Greaves was on hand to make a vital block.

The home side finished the first half strongly as they looked for the equaliser. Owen Evans' ambitious volley went over the bar before a swift counter-attack saw Guilfoyle find Dan Hawkins. Although he was tackled brilliantly by Jay Mingi, the ball fell invitingly for Rouse, who could only send his effort straight at Osaghae. 

It took Charlton just five minutes of second-half action to double their advantage with the impressive Clayden producing a fine run before finding the back of the net via the inside of the post with a left-footed shot.

Henry tried another ambitious effort from the halfway line, but his dipping effort was dealt with by Cartwright.

The Tigers almost pulled a goal back following a goalmouth scramble from Hawkins’ corner, with Greaves eventually volleying just wide. With the Tigers pushing men forward, the game opened up for the visitors with Clayton firing over following a counter-attack.

Kasey then had two quick-fire chances to put the game to bed, first poking his effort wide before being denied by the post, with Charlton substitute Eddie Allsopp firing the rebound over. 

Cartwright produced a late save to prevent Williams' volley from adding a third goal for the Addicks, before the final chance of the game fell to Will Taylor at the other end of the pitch, who saw his goalbound effort blocked by Mingi.

Hull City: Cartwright, Thompson, Leake, Evans (Beckett 61), Smith, Greaves, Taylor, Best (Snelgrove 66), Guilfoyle (Rees 66), Hawkins, Rouse.
Subs Not Used: Fisk, Ward. 

Charlton: Osaghae, Barton, Aidoo, Henry, Mingi, Vega, Williams, Gibbons (Powell 73), Kasey, Vennings, Clayden (Allsopp 82).
Subs Not Used: Barker, Harvey, Buhaky.