In association with eon visual media

Official Media Partner of Hull City

Call us today 01482 358394

Report: Hull City U18s 1 Wigan Athletic U18s 2

Report: Hull City U18s 1 Wigan Athletic U18s 2

Hull City U18s went down to a 2-1 defeat at the hands of league leaders Wigan Athletic at Bishop Burton College on Saturday.

The Tigers led 1-0 at the break courtesy of Rob Guilfoyle’s opener but second half goals from Millen Brown and Sean McGurk secured all three points for the visitors.

John Anderson and Matty Hare made three changes to the starting eleven that beat Barnsley 3-1 last time out. David Robson returned between the sticks, replacing Harry Fisk, while Henry Curtis and Jake Bayram started ahead of Josh Ward and Jake Leake respectively. 

It was the Tigers who started the brighter of the two teams, with Robson’s long goal-kick nearly setting Guilfoyle through on goal only for Sam Tickle to come off his line to clear the danger. Louis Beckett fired over before the home side deservedly took the lead. McCauley Power’s cross wasn’t cleared by the Wigan defence and Guilfoyle regained possession before rifling his left-footed finish into the bottom corner. 

The visitors looked to respond almost immediately as McGurk’s initial free-kick hit the defensive wall before his follow-up effort was blocked by Tommy Best. At the other end, Power almost released Guilfoyle again but a vital challenge from Marcus Snell ended the attack. 

Robson was then forced into a smart save to push Brown’s effort away, before the goalkeeper denied McGurk twice in quick succession, first punching away his free-kick before blocking a low cross. Tom Costello and Alfie Devine both fired chances wide for the Latics as they applied but plenty of pressure but the Tigers stood firm to take a one-goal lead into the break.

In the second half, Wigan started the brightest and nearly drew level two minutes from the restart when Costello headed over McGurk’s free-kick. Power fired a chance over before the Tigers came agonisingly close to doubling their lead. A lovely team move found Beckett in the penalty area and the midfielder skipped past one challenge before rifling his shot against the post.

Wigan pushed more men forward to find the equaliser and Costello forced Robson into a smart save while James Carragher headed wide from close-range. The visitors weren’t to be denied though and levelled the scores in the 66th minute. Good team play saw Brown burst through on goal and the winger produced a clinical finish to fire past Robson.  

The visitors created the majority of the chances in the second half and looked for the winner as substitute Chris Sze volleyed wide before seeing a header held by Robson.

Wigan were then awarded a penalty as Matty Swift was adjudged to have fouled Sze in the box. McGurk stepped up and sent Robson the wrong way to put the visitors ahead.

The Tigers thought they should have had a penalty of their own moments after the restart for handball against Sze following Harry Wood's free-kick, only for their appeals to fall on deaf ears.

Wigan had further chances to extend their lead in the closing minutes as the Tigers looked to find a route back into the game, with Kyle Joseph firing wide via a deflection before Louis Isherwood headed over in stoppage time. 

Hull City: Robson, Thompson, Curtis, Wood (Rees 87), Swift, Bayram, Power (Hinds 70), Best (Green 70), Guilfoyle, Snelgrove, Beckett.
Subs Not Used: Fisk, Lovick. 

Wigan Athletic: Tickle, Broe, Snell, Carragher, Isherwood, Adeeko, Lloyd (Sze 46), Devine (Robinson 74), Costello (Joseph 89), McGurk, Brown.
Subs Not Used: Jones, Jolley.