In association with eon visual media

Official Media Partner of Hull City

Call us today 01482 358394

Report: Hull City U18s 2 Burnley U18s 4

Report: Hull City U18s 2 Burnley U18s 4

Hull City U18s went down to a 4-2 defeat against Burnley at Bishop Burton College on Saturday.

Despite goals in each half from Jake Bayram and Oliver Green for the home side, efforts from Burnley’s Jayden Major, Fin Armstrong, Corey Brennan and Kade Ratchford saw the Tigers slip to second successive U18 Professional Development League defeat.

John Anderson and Matt Hare made two changes to the starting eleven that were beaten 2-1 against Wigan Athletic last time out with Green and Josh Hinds replacing Tommy Best and McCauley Snelgrove respectively.

Both teams wore black armbands for the fixtures and took part in a minute’s applause to celebrate the life of Academy coach. Kris Blakeston who h sadly passed away last week.

It was the Tigers who started the brighter of the two teams and grabbed a deserved lead after just 11 minutes. Bayram’s free-kick beat the Clarets' defensive wall and had enough power in the effort to beat Harry Allen in the Burnley goal. 

The visitors almost responded immediately when Major's cross-shot was held by David Robson. At the other end, Rob Guilfoyle’s shot was blocked by defender Matty Carson, before Matty Swift almost released both Hinds and Guilfoyle with a looped pass, but Allen was sharp off his line to clear. 

Burnley got themselves back on level terms from the penalty spot after Brennan went down inside the box under Robson's challenge. Major stepped up to take the spot-kick and sent Robson the wrong way to equalise.

The Tigers could have retaken the lead just before half-time as Hinds squared the ball back for Louis Beckett on the edge of the penalty area, but his first-time strike was kept out by the feet of Allen. 

Despite a positive first half, the Tigers were behind just four minutes after the restart. Carson’s floated corner towards the back post was met by Armstrong, who smashed a powerful effort past Robson to make it 2-1 to the Clarets.

However, the Tigers were level just a minute later. Substitute Harvey Carew found Green, who beat his man with skill before calmly slotting the ball under Allen to make it 2-2.

Carew almost added his own name to scoresheet moments later when sending a curling effort narrowly after Guilfoyle’s cross wasn’t fully cleared by the Burnley defence.

But, Burnley restored their one-goal lead just past the hour mark through route one football. Allen’s goal-kick found Brennan and the midfielder turned towards goal before curling his effort into the bottom corner. 

The Tigers pushed for an equaliser in the last twenty minutes with Harry Lovick and Luke Rees replacing Wood and Hinds, but it was the visitors who scored the sixth and final goal of the game three minutes from time. Major drove into the Tigers’ penalty area before firing a low cross to find substitute Ratchford at the back post to convert from close-range. 

Hull City: Robson, Thompson, Curtis, Wood (Lovick 72), Swift, Bayram, Power (Carew 32), Beckett, Guilfoyle, Green, Hinds (Rees 72).
Subs Not Used: Fisk, Jarvis. 

Burnley: Allen, Connolly, Carson, Coppack, Armstrong, Rooney (Chima 63), Behan (Ratchford 72), Hugill, Major, Brennan, Walters (Etaluku 72).
Subs Not Used: Waller.