In association with eon visual media

Official Media Partner of Hull City

Call us today 01482 358394

Report: Hull City U18s 2 Sheffield Wednesday U18s 1

Report: Hull City U18s 2 Sheffield Wednesday U18s 1

Hull City U18s continued their impressive unbeaten home record with a 2-1 victory over Sheffield Wednesday on Saturday.

First-half goals from Will Jarvis and Harvey Carew sealed all three points for the young Tigers, with Jay Glover on the scoresheet for the visitors. 

John Anderson and Richard Naylor made three changes to the side that slipped to a  2-0 defeat away at Sheffield United last time out. The suspended Harry Lovick was replaced by Harry Wood. while Jake Bayram and MaCauley Power replaced Andy Smith and Louis Beckett respectively. 

It was the visitors who created the first chance of the game, with a combination of Bayram and Matty Swift blocking L’Varn Brandy’s drive, before Elliot Vasalo fired over from close-range. Charles Hagan was next to take aim for the visitors, heading straight into the arms of David Robson. 

Sheffield Wednesday continued to press for the opening goal with Alex Bonnington dispossessing Swift high up the pitch before picking out Hagan, who saw his shot well blocked by Bayram before Glover fired the rebound over the bar.

Robson was then called into action with a great save to deny Hagan. Lewis Farmer picked out Vasalo at the back post. He squared the ball back across goal towards Hagan, but Robson produced a block to deny the striker.

Despite all the visitors’ pressure in the opening exchanges, it was the Tigers who scored the opening goal of the game on 24 minutes. A good interception and pass from Quinn Thompson found Carew in space and his cross picked out Jarvis at the back post, who stroked the ball past Luke Jackson in the Wednesday goal.

However, the Tigers’ lead lasted just nine minutes as Brandy’s cross found Bonnington, who laid the ball off for Glover to strike the ball into the bottom corner.

The Owls came close to taking the lead minutes later following neat passing play which created space for Farmer, only for the full-back to fire his effort over the bar.

It proved to be costly as the Tigers made it 2-1 moments before the break. After catching a Wednesday corner, Robson quickly distributed the ball to find Carew, who beat the last defender before rounding Jackson to slot the ball into an empty net. 

The majority of the second half was played in the Tigers' half, with Robson the busier of the two keepers. The young Welshman produced a fine diving save to push away Farmer’s free-kick, before seeing shots fly over the bar from Vasalo and Brandy. Farmer then once again took aim from a free-kick only for the result to be the same as Robson produced another good save to keep his side's lead intact.

As the visitors pushed further upfield, the Tigers started to create chances, with Luke Rees volleying over Jake Leake’s pin-point cross. Rees then hit the crossbar from Beckett’s cross, before Robson produced another fine save to deny Paulo Aguas. 

The Tigers had two more opportunities in stoppage time to make certain of the points as Carew curled a shot wide before Beckett’s attempt was blocked by Luke Cox. It mattered not though as the Tigers held on for the win and secure a second successive victory on home soil.

Hull City: Robson, Thompson, Leake, Wood, Swift, Bayram, Carew, Best, Rees, Power (Beckett 75), Jarvis.
Subs Not Used: Fisk, Leach, Mills, Wallis. 

Sheffield Wednesday: Jackson, Farmer, Oliver, Kenyon, Thompson, Ellery (Cox 89), Hagan, Glover, Bonnington (Aquas 63), Brandy (Zottos 86), Vasalo.
Subs Not Used: Hare, Curtis.