In association with eon visual media

Official Media Partner of Hull City

Call us today 01482 358394

Report: Hull City U18s 3 Watford U18s 0

Report: Hull City U18s 3 Watford U18s 0

Hull City U18s produced an accomplished performance to register a 3-0 win over Watford on Saturday.

After a goalless first 45 minutes at Bishop Burton College, second-half strikes from Luke Rees, McCauley Snelgrove and Harvey Carew secured a fully deserved three points to give the young Tigers their first win of the U18 Professional Development League campaign.

It was the visitors who carved out the first opening of the match, with Sonny Blu-Lo Everton firing over after just two minutes before, at the other end of the pitch, Will Jarvis forced Watford keeper Dante Baptiste into a good save at his near post, following some positive play down the left flank.

The Hornets continued to apply plenty of pressure with Harry Fisk and Andy Smith combining to block Rio Campbell’s close-range effort, while Imaad Sankoh then fired a long-distance strike wide of the target.

Fisk was called into action to block Lo Everton’s shot, before Jarvis headed over from Josh Ward’s cross.

Luck was on the Tigers' side when Keller Spencer’s effort deflected off Matty Swift to loop over Fisk, only for the ball to hit the underside of the bar before bouncing out.

Both sides had chances to break the deadlock before half-time. Smith headed wide from Harry Wood’s free-kick, while Lo Everton was off-target with a free-kick of his own as the first half ended goalless.

The Tigers made a positive start to the second half, creating two goalscoring opportunities - both of which fell to Snelgrove. The Tigers' number ten saw his first effort - an attempted chip - held by Baptiste before seeing another strike blocked by Jack Burchell.

Fisk was called upon to keep out Don Hutchinson’s drive while only a fantastic save from Baptiste prevented Wood from putting the Tigers ahead.

The visitors were then denied by the frame of the goal for a second time when Hutchinson's effort on the volley from Ryan Maclean’s cross come back off the post.

The deadlock was finally broken on 67 minutes. Jarvis' initial effort was saved by Baptiste, but the ball found its way to Jake Leake, whose pinpoint cross found substitute Rees to fire in from close-range.

And the Tigers doubled their lead just two minutes later. Good play down the right set-up Snelgrove on the edge of the box, and he found the top corner with a fine curling effort.

Watford almost pulled a goal back after Lo Everton’s free-kick was well saved by Fisk before, Maclean’s tame effort from the resulting corner was easily held by the Tigers’ goalkeeper. 

The home side made certain of the points ten minutes from time when adding a third goal. After clearing a Watford corner, the ball came to Carew - who showed good strength and pace to beat the last defender before slotting the ball under Baptiste.

Fisk had to produce one final save in stoppage time to preserve his clean sheet, diving to push away Harrison’s close-range effort, as the Tigers sealed an impressive win.  

Hull City: Fisk, Ward, Leake, Wood (Rees 59), Smith (Beckett 66), Swift, Carew, Lovick, Jarvis, Snelgrove (Power 81), Green.
Subs Not Used: Voase.

Watford: Baptiste, Lonteh, Maclean (Evans 82), Sankoh, Matthews, Burchell, Harrison, Campbell (Manning 46), Hutchinson, Lo Everton, Spencer (Horsewood 62). 
Subs Not Used: White.