In association with eon visual media

Official Media Partner of Hull City

Call us today 01482 358394

Report: Hull City U23s 0 Birmingham City U23s 2

Report: Hull City U23s 0 Birmingham City U23s 2

Hull City Under-23s' Professional Development League came to a frustrating end on they went down to a 2-0 defeat at the hands of Birmingham City on Friday afternoon.

The visitors created the first chance of the game when Remeao Hutton's cross was met by Corey O'Keeffe but the front-man could send his header wide of the target when unmarked inside the box.

The Tigers were then handed a glorious opportunity to open the scoring when Elliot Holmes was upended inside the box on 13 minutes - prompting the referee to point to the spit. The midfielder picked himself up to take the penalty - only to see his effort which was heading for the bottom corner superbly tipped onto the post by Blues keeper Zach Jeacock.

Another chance came the way of the home side three minutes later when Josh Thacker rose majestically to meet Billy Chadwick's corner. However, the centre-back could only look on as his effort drifted agonisingly wide of Jeacock's right-hand post.

A somewhat uneventful 30 minutes followed with just one goalscoring opportunity coming the way of the Blues. Neat build-up play saw the ball come to Odin Bailey inside the box but, after creating space to get his shot away, the forward could lash the ball high and wide.

The early stages of the second half saw Harvey Cartwright called into action twice in quick succession. The young keeper produced a fine save low to his left to push O'Keeffe's header behind for a corner, from which he showed quick reactions to prevent Joe Redmond's effort from crossing the line.

Cartwright then made a routine save when holding Odin Bailey's strike from distance before Ryan Burke missed a glorious opportunity when firing off target at the back post from Hutton's centre.

The pressure from the away side continued and they were awarded a penalty of their own on 68 minutes when Ahmed Salam upended Corey O'Keeffe as he advanced towards goal - but Cartwright came to his side's rescue when saving Bailey's effort from 12-yards with his legs.

Beale made a triple substitution three minutes later when Jacob Greaves, Dan Hawkins and Harry Wood replaced Tom Powell, Callum Smith and Jay Rouse.

But, just two minutes after their introduction, the visitors opened the scoring from the penalty spot. Wood was adjudged to have tripped Kyle Hurst in the box as the visitors broke from a Tigers' free-kick and the Birmingham man picked himself up to take the spot-kick and send Cartwright the wrong way.

The Tigers produced a good reaction to conceding and came close to an equaliser on three separate occasions. First, both Lewis Ritson and Billy Chadwick were inches away from applying the fishing touch to Salam's free-kick before Thacker was unlucky to see a header somehow blocked on the line.

And then Greaves was the next to come close when firing narrowly wide at full stretch after Tyler Hamilton's corner has dropped invitingly for him at the back post.

But there were made to pay for those misses when Blues grabbed a second goal two minutes from time when substitute Tommy Anderson latched onto Caolan Boyd-Munce's pass to squeeze an effort past Cartwright and into the back of the net.

Hull City: Cartwright, Odunston, Salam, Chadwick, Ritson, Thacker, Smith (Hawkins 71), Rouse (Wood 71), Powell (Greaves 71), Holmes, Hamilton.
Subs Not Used: Foulkes, Hesson.

Birmingham City: Jeacock, Hutton, Burke, Sirk, Forrest, Redmond, Baker (Savage 59), Boyd-Munce, Bailey (Anderson 86), O'Keeffe, Hurst.
Subs Not Used: Bradley-Hurst, Mclean, Dawes.