In association with eon visual media

Official Media Partner of Hull City

Call us today 01482 358394

Report: Hull City U23s 2-1 QPR U23s

Report: Hull City U23s 2-1 QPR U23s

Second-half goals from Josh Bowler and Ahmed Salam secured all three points for an experienced Hull City U23s side against Queens Park Rangers on Monday afternoon.

After a goalless first 45 minutes, Bowler opened the scoring seven minutes after the restart when producing a fine finish after Josh Magennis' initial effort had been blocked.

The visitors were back on level terms just 11 minutes later though as Lewis Walker poked the ball past Matt Ingram, but the Tigers - and Salam - had the final say as he fired home the all-important winner in stoppage time to secure a third win of the season for Jon Beale's side.

New signing Norbert Balogh was amongst a string of first-team players to start for the Tigers, with Markus Henriksen, Matthew Pennington, Matt Ingram, Josh Bowler, Robbie McKenzie and Brandon Fleming and Josh Magennis also involved from the off.

Henriksen came close to breaking the deadlock on 14 minutes when seeing his effort from Fleming's corner come back off the crossbar.

And the frame of the goal came to the visitors' rescue once again just seven minutes later when Magennis' header from Bowler's right-wing cross was tipped onto the crossbar by Tyla Dickinson.

QPR's best chance of the first half fell to Deshane Dalling seven minutes before the break when the winger worked his way into the box before drilling a low effort wide of the target.

Despite failing to make their first half dominate count, it took the Tigers just seven minutes of the second to break the deadlock. Magennis' shot was well blocked by the visitors' backline, but the ball dropped invitingly for Bowler, who made no mistake on the half volley.

The Tigers lead proved to be short-lived though as the West London side were back on level terms on 63 minutes. Although Dalling's initial strike was blocked, Walker showed great reactions to poke the ball home from close-range.

And the visitors almost went ahead soon after, but goalkeeper Matt Ingram produced a fantastic double save to keep the hosts level.

From the resulting counter attack, Bowler had a great opportunity to put the Tigers ahead with a driven shot that forced a good save out of Dickinson.

It looked as though the point would be shared as the game entered stoppage-time - only for the Tigers to grab a late deserved winner.

Markus Henriksen broke down the right and worked his way to the byeline, before finding substitute Keane Lewis Potter. He showed great awareness to tee up Salam, who kept a cool head to fire home - via the aid of a deflection - from 15 yards.

Hull City: Ingram, McKenzie, Fleming, Bonds, Pennington (Jacob 62), Hanson, Bowler (Jones 73), Henriksen, Balogh (Lewis-Potter 46), Salam, Magennis.
Subs Not Used: Mannion, Berry.

QPR: Dickinson, Drewe, Woollard Innocent (Williams Lowe 73), Wells, Carlyle, Domi, Alfa (Duke-McKenna 65), Bettache, Walker, Bansal-McNulty (Kendall 86), Dalling.
Subs Not Used: Brzozowski, Frailing.