In association with eon visual media

Official Media Partner of Hull City

Call us today 01482 358394

Report: Hull City U23s 2 Sheffield United U23s 3

Report: Hull City U23s 2 Sheffield United U23s 3

Despite twice taking the lead, Hull City U23s were beaten 3-2 by Sheffield United at the KCOM Stadium on Saturday.

Jon Beale made five changes to the side beaten by Sheffield Wednesday in the previous fixture. Matt Ingram took over in goal from Will Mannion and full-backs Robbie McKenzie and Brandon Fleming replaced Lucas Odunston and Matty Jacob.

Jordan Hickey made his first appearance of the season in midfield, while McCauley Snelgrove also came into the side with Ryan Hanson and Jay Rouse missing out.

It was the Blades who should have taken an early lead when Kyron Gordon somehow fired over the bar at the far post when it looked easier to score.

And he was made to pay for the miss when the Tigers opened the scoring on 22 minutes courtesy of a sweet low strike from Billy Chadwick that nestled into the bottom corner of Michael Verrips' goal.

Sam Ompreon scuffed a shot wide as the visitors looked for an immediate response but they did level the scores on 33 minutes.

Although the move started rather luckily with a block tackle midway in the visitors' half which somehow ended up as a perfect through ball for Harry Sheppeard and his run and cross was met by an equally fine finish from Jake Young.

However, only two great saves from Verrips prevented the Tigers from regaining the lead before the break. The Blades' shot-stopper first made a fantastic double save, keeping out an own goal before preventing Rob Guilfoyle from netting the rebound.

And he then made an even better save in first half stoppage-time to prevent McCauley Snelgrove's fine volley from finding the top corner. 

Ingram made a good save low to his left to deny Callum Gribbin early in the second period but once again it was the Tigers who took the lead. Ahmed Salam’s fine cross was headed back across goal for Guilfoyle to apply the finishing touch from close range in the 50th minute.

However, just ten minutes later the Blades were level again. A neat pass found Ompreon just inside the box and with City appealing for an offside flag which never came, the striker placed his shot low past Ingram.

A Fleming free-kick created a chance for City to regain the lead but the ball somehow evaded everyone in the box. Ingram then tipped over Harrison Neal’s strike before the fifth and decisive goal of the game was scored in 69 minutes when Sheppeard’s low corner which was converted at the near post by Jean Belehouan.

The Tigers searched for an equaliser but the nearest either side came in the closing stages was when Ingram had to block Illiman Ndiaye’s low shot.

Hull City: Matt Ingram, Robbie McKenzie, Brandon Fleming, Jordan Hickey (Lucas Odunston 86), Andy Smith, Danny Lupano (Matty Jacob 65), Keane Lewis-Potter, Billy Chadwick, Rob Guilfoyle, McCauley Snelgrove, Ahmed Salam (Harvey Carew 53).
Subs Not Used: David Robson, Harry Lovick.

Sheffield United: Michael Verrips, Keenan Ferguson (Harry Sheppeard 21), Harry Boyes, Ashton Hall, Kyron Gordon, Jean Belehouan, Reece York, Callum Gribbin, Sam Ompreon (Illiman Ndiaye 75), Jake Young, Harrison Neal.
Subs Not Used: Jordan Amissah, Stephen Mallon, Ta’Shae Andall-Gibbons.