In association with eon visual media

Official Media Partner of Hull City

Call us today 01482 358394

Report: Leeds United U23s 5 Hull City U23s 0

Report: Leeds United U23s 5 Hull City U23s 0

Hull City U23s suffered a frustrating start to 2020 when their opening fixture of the New Year ended in a 5-0 defeat at the hands of Leeds United at Thorp Arch on Sunday afternoon.

Jon Beale and Andy Dawson made three changes to the side that drew with Barnsley before Christmas. Having returned from his loan spell at Blyth Spartans Lewis Ritson replaced Andy Smith in the centre of defence. Matty Jacob came in for Jake Leake at left-back and Will Jarvis started in place of Billy Steadman.

Leeds started well and almost took an early lead from Liam McCarron’s cross from the left. Ryan Edmondson appeared to be offside but smacked his shot against the crossbar and Jack Jenkins’ follow up was blocked by the Tigers defence.

James Berry tried his luck from outside the box with the Tigers' first effort of the game but his right-foot strike was too high. 

The hosts took a 13th minute lead when Niall Huggins was sent away down the right and his low cross picked out Jenkins, who placed his low shot into the bottom corner of the net.

Leeds continued to press and almost added a second goal when when Bryce Hosannah was allowed to advance to the edge of the box before firing narrowly wide.

Jarvis embarked on a fine individual run on his own down the right but the youngster was unlucky to see his effort blocked by Leeds keeper Kamil Miazek. 

Callum Jones twice went close to grabbing an equaliser, seeing his free-kick pushed away by Miazek and then earning a corner when his right foot shot was deflected just wide of the post. From the resulting flag kick Danny Lupano headed wide.

Ahmed Salam struck a free-kick just wide as City enjoyed their best spell of the game but they were made to pay for failing to take their chances when Leeds doubled their lead in first-half stoppage-time. Pascal Struijk crossed low from the left and Edmondson slid in at the far post to convert from close range.

David Robson produced a good save to tip over a Mateusz Bogusz strike early in the second period, before Elliot Bonds had a chance to pull a goal back for the Tigers but fired over the bar from Jarvis' cross.

Leeds increased their lead on 68 minutes when Hosannah did well on the right and his cross picked out McCarron to head past Robson from close range. Alfie McCalmont saw a shot blocked but Edmondson netted his second goal of the game when he met Huggins’ 73rd minute cross to fire past Robson from six yards out.

It was one-way traffic now and the hosts added a fifth goal ten minutes from time. McCalmont exchanged passes with Huggins and placed a shot into the bottom corner of the net.

Jordan Stevens and Edmondson both fired over as Leeds attempted to bring up their half dozen whilst the Tigers only effort on target in the second period came in stoppage time as a Jones free-kick was held by Miazek.

Leeds United: Kamil Miazek, Bryce Hosannah, Pascal Struijk, Alfie McCalmont, Nohan Kenneh (Leif Davis 61), Charlie Cresswell, Niall Huggins, Jack Jenkins, Ryan Edmondson, Jamie Shackleton (Mateusz Bogusz 31, Jordan Stevens 61), Liam McCarron.
Subs Not Used: Harrison Male, Stuart McKinstry.

Hull City: David Robson, Lucas Odunston, Matty Jacob, Jordan Hickey (Harry Wood 87), Danny Lupano (Andy Smith 87), Lewis Ritson, Will Jarvis, Elliot Bonds, James Berry (McCauley Snelgrove 73), Callum Jones, Ahmed Salam.
Subs Not Used: Harvey Cartwright, Jake Leake.