In association with eon visual media

Official Media Partner of Hull City

Call us today 01482 358394

Report: Sheffield Utd U23s 0 Hull City U23s 3

Report: Sheffield Utd U23s 0 Hull City U23s 3

Hull City U23s chalked up a fourth consecutive league victory with a 3-0 win against Sheffield United at the Proact Stadium in Chesterfield on Monday night.

All three goals came in the first 45 minutes, with Keane Lewis-Potter, James Berry and Billy Chadwick on the scoresheet after a dominant first half display from the men in black and amber.

Jon Beale and Andy Dawson made three changes to the side that won at Barnsley ten days earlier. Andy Smith, Elliot Bonds and Lewis-Potter all dropped down from first team duty to replace Alex John, McCauley Snelgrove and Ahmed Salam.

The Tigers had a chance in the opening minute when Callum Jones pass found Billy Chadwick on the edge of the box but he scuffed his shot wide of the post. 

The Blades first chance came when a corner was played short to Keenan Ferguson but he blasted his effort high over the crossbar.

A break from Jordan Hickey led to City opening the scoring in the 22nd minute. His pass found Keane Lewis-Potter and although Blades keeper Jordan Amissah appeared to have the shot covered it somehow squirmed under him and into the net.

Just three minutes later, City doubled their lead when Bonds’ ball into the box was only half cleared by Jean Belehouan. The loose ball was pounced on by James Berry inside the box and he took a couple of touches before producing a composed finish to slot the ball under Amissah.

United looked for an immediate response but Harvey Cartwright made a good low save to deny Jake Young after good approach play from Callum Gribbin.

A typical Lewis-Potter effort saw him cut in from the left but he was unable to get his strike on target before Harry Boyes' shot was too high at the other end.

Amissah made a good low save from a Jones shot but the Tigers increased their lead seven minutes before the break. Jones’ free-kick picked out Chadwick arriving at the far post and the midfielder turned striker netted his fifth goal in his last four games.

Gribbin went close to pulling a goal back just before the break but his shot from just outside the box was wide of the post.

Boyes went close for the Blades early in the second period, while Berry blasted high over the bar at the other end.

United were looking a much better side after the interval and the Tigers had a lucky escape when George Broadbent’s low cross was diverted against the crossbar by Smith. The ball was cleared only as far as Harrison Neal and his low drive forced Cartwright into a good save.

The custodian was called into action again just a couple of minutes later as he pushed away Young’s shot on the turn. However, the best was yet to come from the City keeper as he superbly tipped over Boyes’ left foot strike from just outside the box.

The Tigers could have added to their lead in the closing stages but substitute Ryan Hanson saw his shot tipped over the bar by Amissah and Smith headed over from a Chadwick cross.

Sheffield United: Jordan Amissah, Keenan Ferguson (Harrison Neal 46), Harry Boyes, Jean Belehouan, Ashton Hall, Nickseon Gomis, Zak Brunt (Kyron Gordon 46), George Broadbent, Jake Young, Illiman Ndiaye, Callum Gribbin (Leo Gaxha 61).
Subs Not Used: Andre Brooks, Sam Kelly.

Hull City: Harvey Cartwright, Matty Jacob, Jake Leake, Jordan Hickey, Andy Smith, Lewis Ritson, James Berry (Ahmed Salam 59), Elliot Bonds (Ryan Hanson 77), Billy Chadwick, Callum Jones, Keane Lewis-Potter.
Subs Not Used: Harry Fisk, Alex John.