In association with eon visual media

Official Media Partner of Hull City

Call us today 01482 358394

Report: Wigan Athletic U23s 2 Hull City U23s 3

Report: Wigan Athletic U23s 2 Hull City U23s 3

Goals from Keane Lewis-Potter, Dan Batty and Ryan Tafazolli helped Hull City U23s recover from conceding an early penalty to record a 3-2 win against Wigan Athletic at Christopher Park on Monday afternoon.

City fielded a relatively strong line-up as Jon Beale and Andy Dawson made five changes to the side beaten by Sheffield United. Matthew Pennington and Tafazolli replaced Andy Smith and Danny Lupano in the centre of defence whilst Batty and Josh Magennis were given run outs and Tyler Hamilton returned from an injury lay-off. They replaced Billy Chadwick, Rob Guilfoyle and McCauley Snelgrove.

Wigan made a strong start to the game and took the lead in the eighth minute when the referee ruled that Brandon Fleming’s challenge on Joe Gelhardt was worthy of a penalty. Josh Windass stepped to take the spot-kick and sent Matt Ingram the wrong way to put the hosts ahead.

The Tigers' keeper then made a good save to push away Jensen Weir’s strike from outside the box and also gathered a Kal Naismith free-kick. Ingram was again called into action to keep out Anthony Pilkington’s shot before Naismith headed wide at the near post from the resulting corner.

The Tigers' first shot at goal came from Batty but his low strike from outside the box was wide of the target.

However, a first effort on target drew them level on 36 minutes. Magennis did well to find Lewis-Potter on the left and he cut inside and curled a right foot shot into the bottom corner of the net.

Batty fired high over the bar and Tafazolli headed just wide from Fleming’s cross before Beale and Dawson were forced into a change moments before the break when Matty Jacob replaced the injured Ahmed Salam.

And the substitute almost gave his side the lead in first half stoppage-time, but could only send his low strike wide of the post.

It was the Tigers who began the brighter of the two teams after the restart, with Magennis seeing a header tipped over the crossbar by Latics keeper Jamie Jones.

And the positive start was rewarded on 58 minutes when Batty found space in the Wigan box to place a left foot shot low past Jones.

Windass had a chance to equalise for the hosts when he met a Pilkington cross but his close-range effort was easily gathered by Ingram whilst - at the other end - Jacob fired wide at the far post from Lewis-Potter's low cross and Jones saved from Robbie McKenzie.

The Tigers increased their lead 14 minutes from time when Tafazolli met Fleming’s corner to powerfully head past Jones.

Wigan substitute Charlie Jolley fired inches wide of the post as Wigan tried to reduce the deficit only an outstanding block from Fleming denied Pilkington from close range. That turned out to be crucial as Wigan did pull a goal back in stoppage time when City failed to clear a corner and Naismith converted from close range.

Wigan Athletic: Jamie Jones, Tylor Golden (Olly Crankshaw 64), Luke Robinson, Jack Sanders, Adam Long, Chris Merrie, Anthony Pilkington, Jensen Weir, Joe Gelhardt (Joe Piggott 29), Josh Windass (Charlie Jolley 75), Kal Naismith.
Subs Not Used: Scott Smith, Emeka Obi.

Hull City: Matt Ingram, Robbie McKenzie, Brandon Fleming, Dan Batty, Matthew Pennington, Ryan Tafazolli, Tyler Hamilton (Lucas Odunston 58), Jordan Hickey, Josh Magennis (McCauley Snelgrove 87), Keane Lewis-Potter, Ahmed Salam (Matty Jacob 44).
Subs Not Used: David Robson, Danny Lupano.