In association with eon visual media

Official Media Partner of Hull City

Call us today 01482 358394

Report: Wolves U23s 2 Hull City U23s 1

Report: Wolves U23s 2 Hull City U23s 1

Despite Keane Lewis-Potter’s early goal, Hull City Under-23s began their Premier League Cup campaign with a 2-1 defeat against Wolverhampton Wanderers at AFC Telford United’s New Bucks Head Stadium on Friday night.

Ondrej Mazuch was included in the Tigers' line-up as he began his return from injury, replacing Josh Thacker in Jon Beale's defence. That was one of four changes made by Beale to the side which drew at Sheffield United earlier in the week. David Robson, recently named in the Wales U17 squad, took over from Harrison Foulkes in goal and Matty Jacob came in at left-back with Brandon Fleming switching to right-back in place of Will Taylor. Elliot Holmes came into the side with Billy Chadwick dropping to the bench.

Wolves had the first chance of the game with Paulo Alves firing over from outside the box but it was the Tigers who took the lead in the 14th minute. Ahmed Salam’s cross from the left was met by Lewis-Potter and his close-range volley clipped the underside of the bar on its way into the net.

Pedro Goncalves’ free-kick was too high for the hosts before Beale's youngsters had a lucky escape when Benny Ashley-Seal saw his header cleared off the line by Fleming, with the Wolves striker’s follow-up header also cleared off the line.

However, the hosts eventually drew level ten minutes before the break when City conceded a free0kick just outside the box and Elliot Watt’s strike gave Robson no chance.

Ryan Giles fired wide of the near post just before the break for Wolves, whilst in first half stoppage-time, Max Sheaf fired a free-kick over the crossbar.

Mazuch was withdrawn during the interval with Thacker replacing him with second change seeing Salam, who picked up a knock late in the first period, replaced by Chadwick.

Lewis Ritson produced a good block to deny Goncalves and Giles fired wide as Wolves created the majority of the chances after the restart. Lewis-Potter was on the end of a Sheaf free-kick and although his shot was turned away for a corner by Wolves keeper Andreas Sondergard it was probably heading wide anyway.

Goncalves fired a shot wide and then saw another comfortably held by Robson before Wolves grabbed the decisive match-winning goal 12 minutes from time. 

After driving up the pitch and faced with three defenders, Ashley-Seal pulled to the right before unleashing a strike from just outside the area that flew across the ‘keeper and into the bottom corner.

The Tigers came close to grabbing a point from their Group E opener in the fourth minute of stoppage time when Fleming cut in from the right and his left foot strike appeared to be heading for the bottom corner until Sondergard produced a fine save low to his right.

Wolverhampton Wanderers: Andreas Sondergard, Callum Thompson, Dominic Iorfa, Alexander Molberg, Cameron John, Ryan Giles (Lewis Richards 88), Carlos Heredia (Austin Samuels 74), Elliot Watt, Benny Ashley-Seal (Enzo Sauvage 79), Paulo Alves, Pedro Goncalves.
Subs Not Used: Harry Beasley, Sadou Diallo.

Hull City: David Robson, Brandon Fleming, Matty Jacob, Jordan Hickey, Lewis Ritson, Ondrej Mazuch (Josh Thacker 46), Callum Smith, Max Sheaf, Keane Lewis-Potter, Elliot Holmes, Ahmed Salam (Billy Chadwick 46).
Subs Not Used: Harvey Cartwright, Tom Powell, Jacob Greaves.